Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Silver Linings and Little Black Rainclouds of Pregnancy

Top Reasons To Like and/or Dislike Pregnancy

As I've been growing large with child, I've been realizing that with pregnancy, there are so many things we are gifted with that normally we don't experience. Somehow I've tried to find the positive in these things to make the journey endurable. However, I've realized that with all of these things, there is both a silver lining (my LIKES) AND a little black rain cloud (my DISLIKES) that come with these new gifts. So, I am starting my first round of Top Reasons to Like and/or Dislike Pregnancy Symptoms.

Reason 1: Baths for Aching Joints
LIKE:
I get to take so many baths for my aching joints…at least two to three a day
DISLIKES:
Having to now use the handicap handlebar to get out of the bath.
Having every part of me covered in the bath except this huge mound of an island sticking out from the middle of me that never seems to get warmed. That mound ends up being completely white while the rest of my body is red.
Having to soak every part of me EXCEPT my feet because the hot water swells them (see entry below)

Reason 2: Gaining Weight
LIKE: I don’t have to worry about gaining weight cuz it’s totally natural and healthy
DISLIKE: When all my weight seems to be gained in my feet (again, see entry below)

Reason 3: Heartburn
LIKE: Being able to drink a mixture of rootbeer and milk to take away my heartburn. TUMS make me gag cuz that's all I took with the twins. This mixture tastes like a rootbeer float. A lot of the time I actually justify that I’m either: On the road, need a treat, or don’t have any rootbeer, that I'll actually go out and BUY myself a Rootbeer Float from Wendy’s. You have to understand. Rootbeer floats are one of the few things in life I think are truly genius concoctions. And I GET TO HAVE THEM ALL THE TIME.
DISLIKE: Having the heartburn that justifies the need to have a rootbeer float. Heartburn just sucks…let’s just put that out there. Cuz it does. I’ve now resorted to sleeping sitting up if I’ve had too many rootbeer floats for the day (can that even be possible) or if I get it in the middle of the night (which then causes more problems if I end up on my back…see my Puffy Feet Entry for what happens with THAT!). Not only do I get heartburn from garlic, spices, etc., but I get heartburn from drinking water

Reason 4: Drinking More Water
LIKE: Forcing myself to drink more water, which is always healthy for you!
DISLIKE: Having constant wet pants from the pee that is always leaking from me. Whether it’s a sneeze, a cough, or just total lack of control, seriously folks! Could it get any more degrading than this?

Reason 5: Having Puffy Feet
LIKE: Getting out of housework. I just tell my husband “I HAVE to put my feet up! They’re getting too swollen.
DISLIKE: Have you actually SEEN my puffy feet? See the entry below and you’ll see my point.

Reason 6: Stuffy Nose
LIKE: (I'm still trying to find something to put here. Haven't found the silver lining for this one yet)
DISLIKE:
Having to relive my childhood of listening to my mom suck nasal spray every chance she could to relieve the pressure in her nose, and realizing that I sound just like her.
Having anxiety attacks when I can't find my nasal spray, especially when it's in the middle of the night, and I'm actually contemplating going out to buy more at 4 a.m. And actually considering my dad's idea of tying it to a string to the side of my mom's bed a good idea... AND carrying one in my purse, my car and anywhere else I can so I'm able to find it at a moment's notice.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

YOuR FEET!! AHHHHHHH HAAAAAAAAAA!