Thursday, October 1, 2009

My Own Little Harry Potter


Yup! This is Spencer's bedroom. You guys didn't believe me when I said he's in a closet under the stairs. You can't see from the picture the slanted ceiling that cuts off half the area. The bed barely fits in there. haha.



I decided to do a post with an update on how Spencer's sleep is doing. A couple people have asked me for an update. So, rather than send out a bunch of separate emails, I'll post it here! The beauty of technology in the modern day where all my family in the states can see pictures of what's going on without having to inundate them with large file emails with only a couple of pictures and no commentary. :)

Anyway! I digress.

Where did we leave off? Oh ya, Spencer was in our bedroom. Well, that didn't work out cuz he could hear us shifting and Brian's heavy breathing (aka random snoring.) Doesn't happen all the time but when it did, AND when he would turn over, Spencer would partially wake up and shift around too. So I knew he wasn't getting a good sleep.

The problem was that I was so nervous that Brian was going to wake him up, that I slept very lightly and would wake up at the slightest sound. And then when Spencer started to wake up, I anticipated that he was going to fully wake up and I was going to need to get him back to sleep. And then I couldn't fall back asleep very easily. Vicious cycle.

So, needless to say, I didn't get any sleep while we were doing this plan. BUT Brian wasn't waking up for nothin! So we decided to move Spencer into the girls' room (with two single beds) and have Brian sleep in there with him so that Spencer wouldn't wake me up. (he wouldn't wake Brian cuz Brian kept sleeping so heavily.)

We tried that for about a week. And the girls were elated because they got to have a sleepover with mom in the big bed Brian and I had been sleeping in. But that plan soon was apparently flawed because Brian's shifting and such kept partially waking Spencer up (so Spencer wasn't really ever falling into a deep sleep).

So, out of sheer desperation, we have put him into this tiny hall/front entryway coat closet with an airline blanket hanging over the front of it. It's been great so far, except for in the afternoon when the girls get home, or when the girls and I are up at the wee hours and try to be so quiet, but sometimes wake him up...or when the cleaning lady comes and wants to vacuum right in the middle of the naptime. ya, don't know what I'm going to do about that (and yes, I already requested her to come later but they said she couldn't because that was too late for her to stay, blah, blah, blah).


But really...this is the best plan yet, other than putting him on the back porch, but he'd probably freeze out there. And yes, Brian and I felt guilty for a little while that we were forcing our son to live under the stairs like Harry Potter. Luckily, we've found a bigger apartment to move into on Monday! Yay! (Oh, and did I mention breakfast there is included...breakfast that is served in their downstairs, streetfront Backerie/Konditorei (bakery & confections). Ya, that is going to be the death of me. I'm going to want a chocolate croissant every morning! But maybe the 4 sets of steep stairs I have to climb to get me back up to the apartment will help me burn some calories. Wow! I have really gone off on a tangent. I'll post more later.)

2 comments:

Randi said...

What house does Spencer belong to?

oh, and you will have to eat a chocolate croissant for me at least once a week. I love those things.

amber buhrley said...

Glad you found a better option, but you didnt mention if now he is sleeping good? Why don't you put a fan in their for when the girls get home or when you are up later? That is why they are my favorite things! I loved imagining your new apartment where you could just go downstairs and get breakfast...ESPECIALLY a chocolate croissant!!!