Thursday, May 15, 2008

RANDOM MEMORY


Anyone remember when Xanthe morphed into Spiderman for a good 4-5 days?

She was about 6 years old and we were living in Sherman Oaks. She found a random Halloween costume at her friend Cooper's house and, at once, morphed into "Spidey". She let us know that she wasn't "Spiderman" cuz she was a girl... and she wasn't "Spiderwoman" cuz she was a LITTLE girl. So she called herself "Spidey". And I love that my friend, Lisa (Cooper's mom) was on the phone when Xanthe came to tell her this. And without even missing a beat, nodded her head and said, "Welcome to our house, Spidey".

After that, she would not answer to "Xanthe"...she wore the costume the next day to school and even though she wanted to wear the mask, she didn't (if it wasn't for those darned school rules) but she kept it at arm's length the whole time. The other days that she didn't wear it to school, believe me... it was in her backpack ready for her to morph on a minute's notice, and she put it on the MINUTE she got home from school. She also wore it to bed and...no joke...was very serious about wearing the mask to sleep too. (And I'm not a horrible parent. I lifted it up over her face the minute she was asleep so she didn't suffocate).

The best was that when she was going to her dad's on the weekend, she had accidentally forgotten the Spidey costume. She about had an emotional breakdown...in fact, I'm sure she did cuz the next thing I know I'm driving it down to Orange County (I'm pretty sure I DID have another reason to go to OC, but all I remember was having a SERIOUS conversation with myself of why I was doing this...:) ). She must have been having one serious identity issue at that time. Luckily, it was in October, and as soon as her mind was on thinking about what she was going to be for Halloween that year, she forgot about Spidey. And we've never talked about it again. :)

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Tell her to bring it to Ca. Her and the boys can play.

Nan said...

You know what is crazy?? I really don't remember that...Where why was I, or do I just have a really bad memory. Regardless, Rocky was stoked to read it and it took Xanthe to a whole new level of cool.

Christy said...

I should find the costume. I think I ended up keeping it for memory sake cuz every time I looked at it I couldn't stop laughing. :) I'm sure all of your boys (both Ruth and Nanette) would love it.